|After studying engineering at the University of Wisconsin, Mark earned a Ph.D. in Earth System Science from the University of California – Irvine and studied for two years as an ASP Fellow at the National Center for Atmospheric Research. He has been a faculty member at the University of Michigan since 2009, where he leads research on cryosphere-climate interactions and teaches courses on topics of climate and radiative transfer. He has authored or co-authored more than 80 journal articles and was named a Highly Cited Researcher in 2018. He has served as a contributing author to the IPCC Fifth and Sixth Assessment Reports on Climate Change, the IPCC Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate, and the UNEP/WMO Integrated Assessment of Black Carbon and Tropospheric Ozone. He currently co-chairs the Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP) Expert Group on Short-Lived Climate Forcers. He lives in Ann Arbor with his family, and in limited free time enjoys jogging, swimming, table tennis, and photography.|
|I grew up in Los Angeles and obtained an undergraduate degree from UCLA in Environmental Science with a minor in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences. Now, as a graduate student at the University of Michigan, I am interested in how abiotic and biotic particles on the surface of the Greenland Ice Sheet interact and influence snow and ice melt. My work will focus on modeling the darkening of the Greenland Ice Sheet by algal blooms. In my free time, I enjoy running, cooking, and being outdoors.|
- Zachary Fair (Ph.D. student, 2018–2021), now a postdoctoral fellow at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
- Jamie Ward (Ph.D. student, 2014–2020), now a postdoctoral scholar at York University.
- Adam Schneider (Ph.D. student, 2013–2018), now a postdoctoral scholar at the University of California – Irvine.
- Yang Li (postdoctoral scholar, 2017), now an Assistant Professor at Baylor University.
- Chaoyi Jiao (Ph.D. student, 2010–2015; postdoctoral scholar, 2016-2017), now a data engineer with Facebook.
- Deepak Singh (Ph.D. student, 2013–2016), now an Assistant Professor at the Indian Institute of Technology – Bombay.
- Justin Perket (Ph.D. student, 2010–2015), now a software engineer at Princeton / NOAA GFDL.
- Ayoe Buus Hansen (postdoctoral scholar, 2012–2013), now a scientist at the United Kingdom Met Office.
- Alex Gardner (postdoctoral scholar, 2010–2012), now a scientist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) students
- Miles Butler (2019–2020)
- Morgan Douglas (2018–2019)
- Johnny Huang (2018–2019)
- Eric Lian (2018–2019)
- Aaron Weldy (2018–2019)
- Terry Guan (2018–2019)
Research Experiences for Undergraduate (REU) students
- Julian Arnheim (2020)
- Benjamin (David) Dillahunt (2014)
- Adrianne Engel (2013)
- Lance Rayborn (2013)
- James Kessler (NOAA GLERL summer fellow, co-mentored with Ayumi Manome) (2015)
- Barbara Doyle (undergraduate researcher, 2014)
- Edwin Tang (undergraduate researcher, 2014)
- Christopher Koh (undergraduate researcher, 2013-2014)
- Menglu Huang (undergraduate researcher, 2013)
- Jordan Feight (undergraduate researcher, 2011)
- Jingyi Bao (undergraduate researcher, 2011)